Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never prior to have numerous new strategies and clinical advancements emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers millions of individuals the opportunity to decrease or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and pain-free method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will more than happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be fooled by elegant ads about a specific laser. Pick the medical professional, not the laser. Discover out who will in fact do your treatment, then ask about that physician's credentials (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Pick a medical professional who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor does not know can injure you.
4. Request for details on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your doctor won't inform you, find another one. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what measures are taken to prevent infection. Look for a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating space. Make certain that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgery to try these out remove the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute. The prospective savings are unworthy the risk of getting less than expert care!
7. Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, but do not expect to see perfectly. Each patient gets a somewhat different outcome. The very best surgeon on the planet cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a automobile; this is genuine article LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 approximately, implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting up until the new lenses are offered. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the vision of countless people around the world.